Sunday, November 4, 2012

Van Persie hails 'special day'

The former Arsenal man scored against his old club in Manchester United's 2-1 win over the Gunners, and has a strange theory over why his partnership with Wayne Rooney works

  Robin van Persie hailed Manchester United’s victory over Arsenal as a “special day” after the 29-year-old scored against his former club.

The Netherlands international has scored eight goals in 10 Premier League games for Sir Alex Ferguson’s side and has now hit the target against all 20 clubs in the English top-flight league, and he was very pleased to have registered against the Gunners.

“It was special day, and I think we played well,” he told Sky Sports. “We were a bit sloppy with chances; we should’ve scored two or three more. But in the end I’m happy with the three points and that’s what matters.

“It’s the first time I’ve ever played against my former club, because I only have three. Yes, it was a special day, but in the end it’s about the game like I said. We won it, and I’m pleased with that.”

When asked why he did not celebrate the goal against his former side, Van Persie said: “I think it speaks for itself; I played there eight years. I had a fantastic time there. I respect the fans, the players, the manager, the whole club. So that’s why.”

Van Persie and Wayne Rooney have formed a fine partnership up front for the Red Devils, and the Dutchman believes he has found the reason why they are forming a potent double.

“We spoke about it last week, funnily enough, and I believe we are both nine-and-a-half, because we have two positions; both 9 and 10," he added.

"We both play a bit behind and a bit high up, and it seems to work well. I’m very happy with him and hopefully we can keep going.”


 

 

Source : Goal.com